Monday, August 31, 2009

Creamed Italian Meatballs, Need I Say More?

This reminds me of my old roomate cooking up her swedish meatballs with a creamy sauce from a packet! UGH don't even get me started on those preservatives and artificial flavorings! Anyway, it still brings me memories of her preparing it in the kitchen getting her chef on. This I am sure tastes even better and is even good for you! I made this three weeks ago and have not stopped craving it, all I can say is YUM!! I usually serve it with some spaghetti squash on the bottom and 4-5 meatballs on top with the white sauce. Just try it!!

MEATBALLS
1 lb. ground organic beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix together all ingredients ( I usually use my hands to make sure everything is combined). Form into walnut size balls and brown 15 min. Drain on paper towel and fold into prepared white sauce. Add 2 tsp. basil and 1/2 tsp sea salt to taste.

WHITE SAUCE
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup brown rice flour
4 cups almond, coconut, or rice milk
1/4 tsp. sea salt
Heat oil in pot. Whisk in rice flour. Blend until smooth. Slowly add milk while whisking. Simmer, while stirring until thickened. Yields 4 1/2 cups sauce. I usually 1/2 this recipe and I have plenty but if you make the whole recipe just freeze when you make this again (trust me you will!)

SPAGHETTI SQUASH
1 medium spaghetti squash
1 T olive oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt, dried oregano, basil
Slice squash lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Place in dish flesh side down. Add 1 inch water and cover with foil. Bake at 400 for 45-60 min. until tender. Scrape out insides with a fork into bowl. Fold in oil and seasonings.
Courtesy of Debbie Blanchard, HealthQuest H.E.L.P.S LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment